Nigeria has recorded 206 new cases of COVID-19 bringing the total number of persons who have tested positive in the country to 169,884
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced this via its website, https://covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/ on Wednesday morning, July 21, 2021.
According to the NCDC; “The 206 new cases are reported from 10 states- Lagos (132), Akwa Ibom (56), Ekiti (5), Delta (3), Rivers (2), Enugu (2), Jigawa (2), Katsina (2), Gombe (1) and FCT (1).”
The NCDC also added that as of 20 July, 169,884 cases had been confirmed, 164,733 cases treated and discharged, while 2,128 deaths were recorded.
Nigeria/Cameroun Border Bridge to Facilitate International Trade – Minister
The completed border bridge at Mfum community between Nigeria and Cameroun and the Ikom bridge will facilitate international trade between the two countries when inaugurated.
The Minister of Works and Housing ,Mr. Babatunde Fashola, made the remark while inspecting the two -lane bridge over Cross River at the Cameroun/Nigeria new Border at Ekok /Mfum and the new Ikom Bridge in Cross River State.
“This is the A-4 Axis coming from Calabar to Maiduguri through Ogoja to Katsina-Ala. So you will expect more volume of trade. And it is no accident that Cross River State bears its name. It is actually the River that named the state. That River opens to the sea and the Gulf of Guinea. And so high impact on international trade is expected”, he said.
Fashola also said , “We have had very strong relationship with Cameroun in terms of trade and business and if you go to Aba, Enugu, Abakaliki, for example, this is the route that facilitates trade, agro produce, merchandise, manufactured goods from Aba in Abia State.”
The Minister explained that the President Muhammadu Buhari led administration’s strategy of planning and execution of infrastructure projects was yielding results through successful completion.
“This is a very strategic infrastructure to take Nigeria to the future for many more decades to facilitate relationship between brothers and sisters in Cameroun and Nigeria and to strengthen the bond of relationship in a joint development with the Republic of Cameroun and Nigeria.” Fashola said, adding that ‘’We are now entering the season of completion of infrastructure projects.”
The Minister while speaking with journalists after inspecting both the Nigeria /Cameroun Joint Border Bridge at Mfom /Ekot and the New Ikom Bridge at Ikom in Cross River noted that these bridges would increase the prosperity of the people, facilitate hundreds of jobs, movement of agro produce and manufactured goods.
He further stated that joint border patrol would also lead to security efficiency and position both nations to reap the benefit of the free trade zone agreement.
Cross River State Governor, Professor Ben Ayade who was represented by the State Commissioner for Works, Engr. Dane Osimasu at the sites of the inspection, said the Minister is a conceptualizer , implementor and committed to road development in the state.
He assured the Honourable Minister that counterpart funding from the state would always be provided where it is necessary in infrastructure development projects.
The Director Highway Bridges and Design Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, Engr. Emmanuel Adeoye said during the inspection of Ikom bridge, “The project was awarded in October 2018 and it is due to finish by 7th November, 2021.”
The Director said, “The rate at which the contractor is working, by the end of October it should be finished. Right now as we speak, the job is 92% completed, with the time lapse of 68%. We are moving faster than the scheduled time, so by end of October we should be done with the bridge.”
According to him “the Road Lane Marking has also been done.
The Federal Controller of Works in Cross River State, Engr. Bassey Nsentip disclosed that several road projects were progressing without hitches in the State.
The Executive Chairman of Etung Local Government Council Cross River State, Hon. Nkom Etuk praised the Ministry of Works and Housing for the remarkable job done on the bridges.
The Ajassor Community Representative, Hon. Victor Njor said the border bridge has enhanced joint border patrol linking Cameroun and Nigeria within their community adding that “the people shall come out en mass when the bridge will be inaugurated soon”.
The border bridge between Nigeria and Cameroun is funded by the African Development Bank while the Ikom bridge is through the Sukuk bond.
The post Nigeria/Cameroun Border Bridge to Facilitate International Trade – Minister appeared first on Voice of Nigeria.
Court Victory: President Buhari Congratulates Governor Akeredolu
President Muhammadu Buhari has joined members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in felicitating with Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State over the Supreme Court’s judgement, which upheld his re-election in the October 10, 2020 polls.
The President therefore, urged the Governor, and all elected leaders of the governing party, to always place the people first in their consideration of development programmes and projects.
He affirmed that the popularity of the APC would continue to depend on performance and acceptance by the electorate.
President Buhari extolled the Ondo State Governor for assiduously working for the development of the state, with reforms that continue to attract the goodwill of investors, and insistence that education, health and security take priority.
The President noted that the Supreme Court’s Judgement preceded by that of the Court of Appeal, further bolsters the strength and reach of the APC, and its bright chances of consolidation in coming elections.
President Buhari called on the opposition to sheathe the sword, work for the development of Ondo State, and wishes the government and people a prosperous future.
The post Court Victory: President Buhari Congratulates Governor Akeredolu appeared first on Voice of Nigeria.
Governor Oyetola restates commitment to protect lives, property
Governor Adegboyega Oyetola has reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to further ensure the protection of lives and property of the citizens in the State.
He stated this when he paid a visit to the victim who was reportedly hit by a stray bullet after a police officer allegedly shot to disperse people at a traffic scene around Oke-Onitea area, Osogbo, on Tuesday afternoon.
The victim, Saheed Olabomi who sustained gunshot injuries is currently receiving treatment at the Intensive Care Unit, Osun State University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo.
The Governor also visited the family members of the victim as part of efforts to show the Administration’s concern over the ugly incident.
While assessing the state of the health of the victim, Governor Oyetola expressed delight at the fact that the patient has been responding to treatment.
Represented by his Special Adviser on Works and Transport, Engr. Hussein Olatoke Olaniyan; Special Adviser on Security, Mrs. Abiodun Ige, in company of the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Olawale Olokode, the Governor said no effort would be spared to ensure adequate treatment for the victim as government was ready to foot the medical bills.
While conducting the government’s delegation round the facilities dedicated to save the life of the patient, the Chief Medical Director, Uniosun Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Prof. Peter Babatunde Olaitan, said the patient was in a stable condition.
He said necessary surgery had been carried out on the patient to stabilise his health situation, saying, “thank God, he is responding to treatment.”
The hospital’s CMD noted that other operations would still be carried out on the patient to permanently stabilise and restore his health.
Speaking on what necessitated the sympathy visit, Oyetola said the visit became necessary to demonstrate government’s sensitivity to citizens’ welfare.
“The unfortunate incident that happened on Tuesday which involved the shooting of one citizen of the State was seen as a very serious development.
“We have gone to visit and sympathise with the relatives of the victim, starting from Aragbiji of Iragbiji, who is an uncle to the victim and also to other members of the family of the victim, particularly his father.
“We have been praying to God that the victim should survive this and come back to life. The Commissioner of Police has assured us that necessary measures will be taken to avoid a reoccurrence. He has also been directed to get to the root of the incident. Government will foot the medical bills,” Oyetola added.
Commending the delegation during a visit to the family of the victim, the Aragbiji of Iragbiji, Oba Abdul-Rasheed Olabomi, appreciated the Governor and the Commissioner of Police for their untiring efforts at guaranteeing the security of lives and property of the citizens.
Oba Olabomi who is an uncle to the victim, said the swift response of the government to the situation had really helped to douse the tensions occasioned by the people’s reactions that followed the incident.
At the family house of the victim, the father of the victim, Mr. Adewale Oyedele Olabomi, who spoke on behalf of the family appreciated the visit of the government’s delegation, describing it, as “a rare honour.”
The post Governor Oyetola restates commitment to protect lives, property appeared first on Voice of Nigeria.
EFCC, NEITI Sign MoU, To Check Corruption in Extractive Industry
The Executive Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Abdulrasheed Bawa has reiterated the Commission’s resolve to sanitize and deal with fraud-related issues in the extractive industries.
The EFCC boss stated this during the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding, MoU, between the EFCC and the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, NEITI led by its Executive Secretary, Dr. Orji Ogbonnaya Orji at the Commission’s Headquarters, in Abuja.
The EFCC boss promised to use the Commission’s Extractive Industry Fraud Section to deal with issues relating to the extractive industries, and to sanitize the sector.
“I want to assure you that all the issues that your report will raise and all the issues that we are also seeing on our own relating to extractive industries, in oil and gas as well as in solid mineral, we will deal head on with them.”
Bawa promised to work with NEITI in meeting the expectation of both parties for the betterment of the country. “The Memorandum of Understanding is very clear regarding your expectation and our expectation and I want to assure you in addition to other issues of training and all of that, we will do our best and ensure that the industry is sanitized for the betterment of this country.
“The EFCC so much believe that if we can block the leakages, this country will not need to borrow a single cent from any other country to come and finance our budget and that is why we are interested in this MoU and that is why we are keen to see that the extractive industries are sanitized for the betterment of this country.” Bawa explained.
In his remarks, the Executive Secretary of NEITI, Dr. Orji Ogbonnaya Orji noted that with the MoU, NEITI, which has no enforcement powers, will be able to leverage on the powers of the EFCC, to “bark and bite”.
“We are here because the EFCC and NEITI are in this together, to rescue our country from indiscipline, malfeasance, mismanagement of public resources, to work together with the EFCC to seek avenues to channel our peoples mind to living legitimate lives and adding content and public value to whatever assignment they have been given for the benefit of our citizens.” He said.
The NEITI boss also promised to work with the EFCC to strengthen their position and rescue the extractive industries resources. “We are very grateful that you have offered us the support and we will relate with mutual respect as two sister agencies and timely exchange of information and data will be very useful in this relationship.
The NEITI boss added that, “as an agency we believe in the work the EFCC is doing and we are very proud of the courage and excellence that this institution has exhibited in the face of all kinds of challenges, and we will continue to encourage men and women of goodwill, fellow Nigerians that are working here that you are on the right track and you have an ally in NEITI.” Picture below:
The post EFCC, NEITI Sign MoU, To Check Corruption in Extractive Industry appeared first on Voice of Nigeria.
2021 UTME: Jamb releases withheld results
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), has cleared and released withheld results of 14,620 candidates who sat for the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The board also released the results of the 332 blind candidates whose examination was conducted this month.
93 candidates results are still being withheld for further investigations, while results of 14 candidates have been withdrawn by JAMB for various examination infractions.
Out of the withheld results 13 were discovered to have been involved in examination infractions after they were released, the result of one Attama Lawrence Ikedichukwu was withdrawn for impersonation bringing the total of the results that have been withdrawn to 14.
A statement made available to Journalists by the board’s Head Media , Dr. Fabian Benjamin on Tuesday in Abuja, noted that all CCTV footages of the examination, the adequacy or otherwise of security measures put in place to forestall examination infractions were currently being viewed.
The Board cautioned that many more candidates were likely to face such fate, adding that a top security officer, who facilitated forgery of the Board’s admission letter, was being investigated for possible culpability and subsequent prosecution.
The statement partly reads: “The withdrawn results are for the following candidates: Gabriel Micheal, Lawson Ruth Joy, Sadiq Mahbub Auwal, Attama, Lawrence Ikedichukwu, Tambaya Yahaya, Anowa Anointing, Ogbonna Joseph Dibia, Ani Maryrose, Ayomiposi Precious, Ekeocha, Chinecherem Michael, Oluwarotimi Toluwanimi Ayanfeoluwa, Edu Teslim, Abiola, Simon Friday Promise and Onyeama Odi.
“The Board wishes to restate that no result obtained through fraudulent means would be allowed to stand. It should be noted that the cancellation is in line with the Board’s policy of cancelling any result fraudulently obtained by any candidate even when such had been released.
The Board wishes to remind candidates and the general public that it would painstakingly scrutinise the entire examination processes with the proviso that the results obtained through fraudulent means would be withheld and after thorough investigation, cancelled as the case may be.”
Entertainment2 weeks ago
Global Citizen Live Broadcast to Hold in September
Breaking News2 months ago
President Buhari denies alleged 3rd term agenda
EFCC2 months ago
EFCC arrests 44 suspected internet fraudsters in Lagos
Britain2 weeks ago
Jamaica plans to seek reparations from Britain over slavery
Breaking News1 month ago
CBN confident prices of rice will crash in the next few months
Breaking News2 months ago
NECO registrar Professor Obioma is dead
Education4 months ago
FG engages ASUP over strike
Breaking News2 months ago
JUST IN: FG shortlists 550,000 applicants for Batch C N-Power programme
Health2 weeks ago
UN warns about possible resurgence of polio, other diseases
News2 months ago
Nigerians begin payment of N6.98 per USSD bank transaction