Connect with us

Breaking News

Gov Inuwa holds emergency meeting over Shongom/Filiya crisis

Published

on

Gombe State Governor, Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya has presided over an emergency security meeting to address the communal clash that ensued between some section of Shongom and the Filiya districts of Shongom Local Government Area of the State.

Briefing news men on the outcome of the meeting, which took place at the executive council chamber, the Commissioner of Internal Security and Ethical Orientation, Adamu Dishi Kupto said the clash, which was caused by a dispute over a piece of land, occurred on Saturday leaving one dead and over 50 houses as well as food banks burnt to ashes.

The Commissioner explained that Governor Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya received the news of the crisis with great shock and sadness, describing the unfortunate incident as the handy work of the devil who always detests peaceful coexistence.

Adamu Kupto said so far tension between the two communities has simmered owing to the prompt deployment of security personnel Governor Inuwa Yahaya to restore peace.

He, however, called on both communities to remain calm and revert back to the status quo of peaceful coexistence without which he said Government cannot provide the dividends of democracy.

On whether any arrests have been made so far, the State commissioner of Internal security said investigations are still on to unravel the instigators and perpetrators of the unfortunate incident.

The meeting reached a 6- point resolution to further cement peace and tranquility in the area.

The Commissioner of Information, Julius Ishaya Lapes said the meeting noted the extent of damage occasioned by the crisis which he said based on security report over 50 houses, food items and other essentials were destroyed.

The Commissioner noted that the meeting condemned the carnage inflicted on the people of Shongom and Filiya Districts and called for the involvement of all relevant stakeholders under the leadership of the Mai Kaltungo Engr Sale Mohammed to begin peace building efforts.

He further explained that it was resolved that perpetrators of the heinous crime must be brought to book to face justice and reiterated the banning of all militia or hunter groups.

Julius Lapes said the meeting directed all community leaders to engage and prevail on the youths for peace to reign supreme in both Shongom and Filiya Districts.

Mai Kaltungo, Eng Sale Mohammed at the emergency meeting over Shongom/Filiya crisis.

Also speaking, the Mai Kaltungo, Engr Sale Mohammed appealed for calm among the people of Shongom and Filiya districts saying such a crisis must not be allowed to fester particularly at this time when the rainy season is setting in.

“In my capacity as the Mai Kaltungo, I will do all that is necessary to bring peace in the affected communities. I shall embark on a peacebuilding mission to the two communities and I assure you that this ugly incident will never happen again”.

He thanked Governor Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya for his prompt response and the security agencies for swiftly restoring law and order.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

Gombe ranks 1st on environments that promote business growth in Nigeria

Published

on

Gombe State has been ranked first among states that have provided attractive environments that promote business growth in Nigeria.

This was contained in a result of the State Ease of Doing Business Survey undertaken by the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC) as a status report on the current attractiveness of states business climates for small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs.

Reacting to the development, Governor Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya said the attainment of this feat is a clear demonstration of his administration’s commitment to Good Governance which has culminated in comprehensive reforms in land administration, financial management, revenue administration and the massive infrastructural development that are critical to doing business.

According to him, the clear and purposeful drive in vocational and technical education, as well as support to SMEs, have ensured the upgrading of the skills of the youthful population of Gombe State.

The Governor assured of his determination to sustain the tempo, while acknowledging the hard work by the public service in making this happen. He expressed belief that the success recorded is also part of the dividend of his administration’s comprehensive reforms in the civil service.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Wealthy individuals urged to consider helping female students

Published

on

Philanthropist and other wealthy individuals in Gombe state have been urged to always consider females students by providing them with sanitary items.

The Principal of Government Secondary School and Technical College, Barunde Gombe, Malam Muhammad Musa made the appeal when the females students of the school receive free Sanitary Pad from Hussaini Sani Babangida on Tuesday.

Malam Musa appreciated Hussaini Sani Babangida for such gesture saying the gesture will go a long way in assisting the female’s students and prayed Allah to reward him abundantly.

Speaking during the presentation of items in GSTC Barunde and Government Girls Secondary School Doma, Hussaini Sani said he decided to provide such gesture considering how female’s students are facing difficulties during their menstrual period due to economic hardship.

He also called on government at all levels and wealthy individuals in the society to come to their aid in that direction.

Some of the beneficiaries interviewed, Rabi Saleh and Firdausi Jamilu expressed their happiness and appreciates the donor for such kind gesture.

The donor presents 275 pads in GSTC Barunde and 300 in Government Girls Secondary School Doma Gombe.

Cov/M.S. Saulauwa

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Kaduna Police foils robbery attack, recovers ammunitions and operational vehicle

Published

on

Kaduna State Police Command says it received a distress call through Divisional Police Officer Tudun Wada, that unknown armed men invaded Jada road, in a bid to commit heinous crime in the area.

This was contained in a statement made available to newsmen by the Command’s Spokesperson ASP Mohammed Jalige in Kaduna.

It explained that on receipt of the call, patrol team were immediately dispatched to the area, where the handlooms, on sighting the patrol vehicle, started shooting berserkly.

It maintained that Officers involved in the operation succeeded in repelling the attack and recovered twenty four rounds of live ammunitions, thirty polymer-cased twelve-guage shotgun shells, a Toyota Corolla LE, a driver’s license and ATM cards.

The statement described the counteroffensive operation as successful, devoid of any injury to the operatives, while the hoodlums escaped with bullet wounds considering the observed volume of blood spilled and stains at the scene.

It adds that the Command solicits for information about any person(s) found with bullet wound(s) and such should be reported to the Police for immediate action.

PR/Usman Sani.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Minimum Wage: Labour begins indefinite strike in Nasarawa

Published

on

The Organised Labour in Nasarawa State has begin an indefinite strike today over partial implementation of thirty thousand naira minimum wage and other welfare related issues.

Our Correspondent reports the organised labour made the declaration  after its State Executive Council meeting held in lafia.

The Chairman of the State Labour Congress NLC Comrade Yusuf Sarki Iya told newsmen that the action became necessary due to the failure by the government to meet their demands.

Comrade Yusuf Sarki Iya listed some of the demands to include partial implementation of minimum wage without recourse to due process of collective bargaining and lack of implementation of promotions since two thousand and eighteen.

Others includes lack of annual increments, lack of training, lack of confirmation of appointments of casual workers some of which have worked for more than ten years among others.

He said that some of the problems had lingered for a long time but government had failed to give priority toward addressing them.

The State NLC chairman added that, they have given the present administration more than two years’ grace to address their challenges but the government has been paying lip service.

Comrade Yusuf Sarki Iya described the implications of minimum wage of workers from grade levels one to six in the state as a mirage

COV/Aliyu Muraki/Lafia..

Continue Reading

Breaking News

GOC re-echo call on Boko Haram fighters to surrender

Published

on

The Acting General Officer Commanding GOC 7 Division Nigerian Army Brigedeir General Abdulwahab Eyitayo has called on remnants of Boko Haram insurgents to give up the fight and surrender so as to be reintegrated back to the society.

The GOC made the call during a luncheon with media professionals in Maiduguri.

Brigedeir General Eyitayo who is also the Commander Sector 1 Joint Taskforce Northeast, Operation Hadin Kai urged Boko Haram fighters to shun violence and embrace peace as the war is almost over.

According to him, activities of informants and logistic suppliers to the insurgents in their hideouts are some the factors that made the war on terror to be protracted.

General Eyitayo therefore called for better synergy between the military and the media for the battle to be successfully won.

He appreciate the media for the positive reportage since he assumed duty as acting General Officer Commanding 7 Division three months ago.

Secretary Nigeria Union of Journalists NUJ, Borno State Council, Mohammed Ibrahim appreciated the resilience and sacrifice of troops prosecuting the war, assuring of better cooperation and professional coverage of activities of the military.

Over fifty journalists from different media organisations attended the luncheon.

Cov/Dauda

Continue Reading

Trending