A patient suffering from COVID-19 receives treatment at the emergency ward of Holy Family hospital, New Delhi, India. Photo: CNBC.com
India today has recorded its highest ever single-day COVID-19 death toll, with 4,187 deaths recorded within the past 24 hours. This comes as cases continued to rise and states imposed stricter lockdowns.
According to India’s health ministry, taking the overall death toll to just under 240,000, cases rose by 401,078, increasing the total since the start of the pandemic to 21.9 million.
Reuters reports medical experts saying the real numbers of COVID-19 cases and fatalities are likely to be far higher than official tallies.
India is yet to impose a national lockdown as it did during its first wave last year, but around half of all its states have imposed a total shutdown. The rest are under a partial shutdown.
Though it is the world’s biggest vaccine maker, India is struggling to produce and distribute enough doses to stem the wave of COVID-19.
Although the country has administered over 167 million vaccine doses, its rate of inoculation has fallen sharply in recent days and only around 2% of its 1.4 billion people have received the two doses needed to be fully immunised.
Gombe ranks 1st on environments that promote business growth in Nigeria
Gombe State has been ranked first among states that have provided attractive environments that promote business growth in Nigeria.
This was contained in a result of the State Ease of Doing Business Survey undertaken by the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC) as a status report on the current attractiveness of states business climates for small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs.
Reacting to the development, Governor Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya said the attainment of this feat is a clear demonstration of his administration’s commitment to Good Governance which has culminated in comprehensive reforms in land administration, financial management, revenue administration and the massive infrastructural development that are critical to doing business.
According to him, the clear and purposeful drive in vocational and technical education, as well as support to SMEs, have ensured the upgrading of the skills of the youthful population of Gombe State.
The Governor assured of his determination to sustain the tempo, while acknowledging the hard work by the public service in making this happen. He expressed belief that the success recorded is also part of the dividend of his administration’s comprehensive reforms in the civil service.
Wealthy individuals urged to consider helping female students
Philanthropist and other wealthy individuals in Gombe state have been urged to always consider females students by providing them with sanitary items.
The Principal of Government Secondary School and Technical College, Barunde Gombe, Malam Muhammad Musa made the appeal when the females students of the school receive free Sanitary Pad from Hussaini Sani Babangida on Tuesday.
Malam Musa appreciated Hussaini Sani Babangida for such gesture saying the gesture will go a long way in assisting the female’s students and prayed Allah to reward him abundantly.
Speaking during the presentation of items in GSTC Barunde and Government Girls Secondary School Doma, Hussaini Sani said he decided to provide such gesture considering how female’s students are facing difficulties during their menstrual period due to economic hardship.
He also called on government at all levels and wealthy individuals in the society to come to their aid in that direction.
Some of the beneficiaries interviewed, Rabi Saleh and Firdausi Jamilu expressed their happiness and appreciates the donor for such kind gesture.
The donor presents 275 pads in GSTC Barunde and 300 in Government Girls Secondary School Doma Gombe.
Kaduna Police foils robbery attack, recovers ammunitions and operational vehicle
Kaduna State Police Command says it received a distress call through Divisional Police Officer Tudun Wada, that unknown armed men invaded Jada road, in a bid to commit heinous crime in the area.
This was contained in a statement made available to newsmen by the Command’s Spokesperson ASP Mohammed Jalige in Kaduna.
It explained that on receipt of the call, patrol team were immediately dispatched to the area, where the handlooms, on sighting the patrol vehicle, started shooting berserkly.
It maintained that Officers involved in the operation succeeded in repelling the attack and recovered twenty four rounds of live ammunitions, thirty polymer-cased twelve-guage shotgun shells, a Toyota Corolla LE, a driver’s license and ATM cards.
The statement described the counteroffensive operation as successful, devoid of any injury to the operatives, while the hoodlums escaped with bullet wounds considering the observed volume of blood spilled and stains at the scene.
It adds that the Command solicits for information about any person(s) found with bullet wound(s) and such should be reported to the Police for immediate action.
Minimum Wage: Labour begins indefinite strike in Nasarawa
The Organised Labour in Nasarawa State has begin an indefinite strike today over partial implementation of thirty thousand naira minimum wage and other welfare related issues.
Our Correspondent reports the organised labour made the declaration after its State Executive Council meeting held in lafia.
The Chairman of the State Labour Congress NLC Comrade Yusuf Sarki Iya told newsmen that the action became necessary due to the failure by the government to meet their demands.
Comrade Yusuf Sarki Iya listed some of the demands to include partial implementation of minimum wage without recourse to due process of collective bargaining and lack of implementation of promotions since two thousand and eighteen.
Others includes lack of annual increments, lack of training, lack of confirmation of appointments of casual workers some of which have worked for more than ten years among others.
He said that some of the problems had lingered for a long time but government had failed to give priority toward addressing them.
The State NLC chairman added that, they have given the present administration more than two years’ grace to address their challenges but the government has been paying lip service.
Comrade Yusuf Sarki Iya described the implications of minimum wage of workers from grade levels one to six in the state as a mirage
GOC re-echo call on Boko Haram fighters to surrender
The Acting General Officer Commanding GOC 7 Division Nigerian Army Brigedeir General Abdulwahab Eyitayo has called on remnants of Boko Haram insurgents to give up the fight and surrender so as to be reintegrated back to the society.
The GOC made the call during a luncheon with media professionals in Maiduguri.
Brigedeir General Eyitayo who is also the Commander Sector 1 Joint Taskforce Northeast, Operation Hadin Kai urged Boko Haram fighters to shun violence and embrace peace as the war is almost over.
According to him, activities of informants and logistic suppliers to the insurgents in their hideouts are some the factors that made the war on terror to be protracted.
General Eyitayo therefore called for better synergy between the military and the media for the battle to be successfully won.
He appreciate the media for the positive reportage since he assumed duty as acting General Officer Commanding 7 Division three months ago.
Secretary Nigeria Union of Journalists NUJ, Borno State Council, Mohammed Ibrahim appreciated the resilience and sacrifice of troops prosecuting the war, assuring of better cooperation and professional coverage of activities of the military.
Over fifty journalists from different media organisations attended the luncheon.
- National Center for women development empowers over 100 women in Gombe.
- PRESIDENT BUHARI TO ATTEND ECOWAS MID-YEAR SUMMIT IN ACCRA
- Gombe ranks 1st on environments that promote business growth in Nigeria
- GOV BADARU OF JIGAWA APPROVES PROJECTS WORTH OVER 10bn ACROSS THE STATE
- Khan formally swears in as new ICC Prosecutor
- Wealthy individuals urged to consider helping female students
- Gombe Agric Commissioner visits Wawa-Zange Grazing Reserve, assures transformation
- Kaduna Police foils robbery attack, recovers ammunitions and operational vehicle
- Bauchi Emir tasks youths on farming
- Minimum Wage: Labour begins indefinite strike in Nasarawa
Breaking News2 weeks ago
President Buhari denies alleged 3rd term agenda
EFCC2 weeks ago
EFCC arrests 44 suspected internet fraudsters in Lagos
Breaking News3 weeks ago
NECO registrar Professor Obioma is dead
News2 weeks ago
Nigerians begin payment of N6.98 per USSD bank transaction
News2 weeks ago
Obasanjo Blames Nigeria’s Woes On Inadequate Leadership
Entertainment2 weeks ago
Why I was babymama for four years – Omawumi
News2 weeks ago
Bad leadership caused current bitterness, sadness in Nigeria – Obasanjo
COVER STORIES2 weeks ago
Outrage Over FG’s Suspension Of Twitter’s Operations In Nigeria
Breaking News2 months ago
FG to review payroll, number of agencies, to cut cost
Breaking News2 weeks ago
JUST IN: FG shortlists 550,000 applicants for Batch C N-Power programme